Fixed: OpenOffice “Restore Windows” Popup

I tried starting Open Office on my Mac running 10.7.2, and I got this annoying popup window that won’t go away. I click on “Don’t Restore Windows” or “Restore Windows”, and it just stays popped up.

OpenOffice Restore Windows Popup Image

I found a solution though.

1) Force Quit your Open Office Application (Right-click holding the option key).

2) Open up Terminal and at the command prompt type to remove the Saved Application State information.

rm -rf "~/Library/Saved Application State/org.openoffice.script.savedState"

3) Start up OpenOffice and the popup should no longer show.

Hope that helps

137 Thoughts on “Fixed: OpenOffice “Restore Windows” Popup

1. Cheryl Peterson on January 9, 2012 at 5:54 am said:

Thank You – worked like a charm!!

2. This solution ended up resolving my same issue. Thanks

3. Hallelujah, thank you!! Been bugging me for WEEKS.

4. This still isn’t woking for me. Every time I go to the terminal and type that code in, nothing happens.

• The terminal command just removes the file. Once you hit enter, nothing will happen in Terminal, but the file will be removed. The “rm” part of the command means remove.

Did the application start without the prompt?

• I did everything it said, still came up with the window

• Sarah on April 13, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

I “forced quit” OpenOffice (right-click holding the option key) but the application OpenOffice was still open, even thought the “Restore Windows” box disappeared. I tried putting the code into the Terminal anyway and hit “enter” but it didn’t work (I guess because OpenOffice never quit). So I don’t think the file was ever removed. And I can’t restart the application because it never closed. What should I do??

5. Well i have tried…..

but the window still pops up….

6. This did not work for me until I escaped the spaces in the file path. I used:
    "rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.openoffice.script.savedState"

7. Hooray! Thanks so much for this. The method you describe in this post didn’t actually work for me, but the manual removal that you describe on the forum worked perfectly. user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=43095#p198915 Such a relief!

8. Thanks Tony – worked for me too by escaping the spaces (thanks Patrick too).

9. Worked like a charm mate. Nice one!

10. Thank You so much – this error was getting driving me nuts…

11. Thanks so much, this has been driving me crazy!! & i was one of the dummies putting in the quotation marks so thank you for pointing that out too lol!

12. Nicole on April 23, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Worked just fine with tab completion :)

Thank you for saving me hours of unfun!!!

13. Thanks!!!

14. Frank on May 8, 2012 at 4:07 am said:

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

15. Caro on May 8, 2012 at 3:59 pm said:

I have tried the two different versions of this script in terminal and I am still getting the pop up window (restore windows) in open office. Is there anything else I can do. I have reinstalled the application and it still happens :(

16. Caro on May 8, 2012 at 4:11 pm said:

GRMrGecko wrote:
    I have found a solution to this issue. I do not know why this has be marked as “[Solved]” while it doesn’t provide the answer as to how to fix it.

Here is how you fix it.
    I found something that worked for me on another forum:
    In the Finder, make a new window. Go into the Go menu and hold down option to reveal the Library folder and select that folder in the menu. Find the folder “Saved Application State” in the Library and delete the folder “org.libreoffice.script.savedState” (Should be similar for OpenOffice), now open LibreOffice and your problem will be fixed.

17. Pingback: Open Office Woes - cloud9creative.cocloud9creative.co

18. Pingback: Open Office Woes - cloud9creative.cocloud9creative.co

19. Cory Wagner on May 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm said:

This did not work for me, I can’t force quit OOo-dev. After typing that code into Terminal, it does nothing.

20. mary on May 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm said:

Open up Terminal and at the command prompt type to remove the Saved Application State information.

rm -rf “~/Library/Saved Application State/org.openoffice.script.savedState”
    I don get it this part, i opened terminal and there was just my profile name that I’ve been logged in with. scan someone explain this part for me

• That’s a command prompt. You need to type (or copy and paste) that line of code in the Terminal command prompt. Then, once it’s there (you should see that line of text after you type it), hit enter. That will run the command.

After that, you are done.

Make sure you quit out of OpenOffice before you do it, though.

21. asim on May 24, 2012 at 4:26 am said:

GRMrGecko has it right….go to the GO menu and delete the file in the Libary as it is stated above. It works!!

22. Angel on May 26, 2012 at 1:48 pm said:

Thanks! I was troubled by this issue, and googled for a solution. This really helped me!

23. Open terminal? What does that even mean?

• andrew on July 12, 2012 at 4:19 am said:

Thanks for expressing what other newbies experience when instructions are given that assume you know your way around a Mac. I’m learning computers and a new Mac, too.

24. Great. Thanks for the help… For those that it isnt working for, i used your method, but instead of using the terminal, i just went to my user folder, tuerned on invisible files, went to Library/Saved Application State/ then found most recent 8 being open office and deleted the folder…. problem solved.

maybe easier for some people as terminal is a bit scary. BMany thanks as this was really buggin me

25. Steve on June 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm said:

I have tried both the posted line to type by Tony and the escaped line that someone else posted and neither of them worked.

I hunted for that path and was unable to find it. I don’t know if “Saved Application State” is a hidden folder, but it’s not in the Library folder.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
    Steve

26. Thanks Tony, I was being driven to distraction by this error!

27. nothing seems to be helping the message keeps popping up no matter what i do.

28. Manish on June 29, 2012 at 8:40 am said:

Thanks, that helped!

29. THANK YOU!!! That had been bugging me for DAYS!

I can now use OpenOffice without complaint :D

30. Jess on July 6, 2012 at 7:02 pm said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

31. The sound of singing angels – THANK YOU

32. Hooray! Thanks!!

33. Brenna on August 7, 2012 at 7:23 pm said:

Thank you so much! Didn’t even know I had a Library folder; it disappeared after a second of showing up on my screen every time I searched for it.

34. Fast and easy. Thanks

35. Thanks for the suggestions; however, none worked for me. I had to uninstall OO and go back to MS Office. :(

• Ok, apparently I kept mistyping something, because I tried one more time and it miraculously worked. So I guess my thanks are in order too!

36. Jasmin on August 17, 2012 at 11:57 am said:

Omg thank you so much!!

37. Thank you. Thank you.

38. Mohannad on August 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm said:

rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.openoffice.script.savedState

this works with me

39. Alison on August 29, 2012 at 11:20 am said:

THANK YOU!!!

40. yes! this command worked for me. thanks so much!!!

41. Thanks! It worked perfectly.

42. <3 Thank you so much. That problem was driving me insane.

43. Rebecca on October 2, 2012 at 12:17 pm said:

In Library- still not seeing a “Saved State” folder. Help?

44. Damian Hutchinson on November 1, 2012 at 6:49 am said:

You are all such stars…couldn’t open open office got that ******y message…eventually (Yep I included quotation marks!!!) beat the thing with your help..Muchos thanks!

45. Seiaeka on November 4, 2012 at 11:34 pm said:

This not only worked for my OpenOffice issue, but resolved a 3 month old problem with QuickTimePlayer as well.

46. Arjuna on November 7, 2012 at 5:14 am said:

Thank you very much.

47. Is there a way to solve it for mac?

48. I’ve tried this several times, nothing changed and it continues to pop up. Is there something I’m doing wrong?

49. THANK YOU!!! It took me forever to figure out how to “open the Terminal” and what the “command prompt” was, but this worked perfectly once I figured that out. Hesher: These are instructions for a Mac.

50. christiane on November 22, 2012 at 4:36 pm said:

if you can’t find the folder in the library, use the “terminal” solution from above.
    go to
    Applications–> Untilities–> terminal (double click)
    then copy this:
    rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.openoffice.script.savedState
    and paste it where the grey sign is. —> enter

problem solved thank you thank you thank you

51. Thanks so much! This issue was really beginning to bug me!

52. The script didn’t do the trick for me, so I used Finder to browse to the Library folder in my personal user folder and deleted the “org.openoffice.script.savedState” folder under “Saved Application State” manually. Worked like a charm!

• Can you tell me where to find the Library folder to delete “org.openoffice.sctipt.savedState” I have a MacBook Pro…don’t know where to look.

53. Michelle on December 6, 2012 at 6:41 am said:

worked! thanks sooooo much! this was soo annoying!

54. Is there a fix for teh same issue for Windows 7?

55. Okay phew – I’ve been trying that line of code for last half an hour, didn’t realise you were not supposed to use the quotation marks! But thanks so much y’all for thanks and responses finally I can use my program

56. THANK YOU! This has resolved hours of frustration. :)

57. Ahhh thank you so much!!! It worked!

58. Thank you so much! For me worked this one:
    rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/org.openoffice.script.savedState

Just copy paste to terminal and hit enter.

Then reopen openoffice and well done!

59. Thanks! Helped me a lot

60. This thread helped me!

61. Thanks this really works!

62. BenjaminB on March 24, 2013 at 5:22 am said:

THANKS!

63. Alina on April 12, 2013 at 6:31 am said:

64. Dayanne Fernandes on April 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm said:

:( I am not good with computers. where do I open up “terminal”?

65. Priyaranjan on April 19, 2013 at 2:52 am said:

Thanks buddy !!

It worked for me.

66. Zinn on June 6, 2013 at 3:40 am said:

Thank you. This saved me some agony!!!

67. Angie on June 13, 2013 at 8:12 am said:

May I know how to find Terminal? I have try but just don’t work.

• Use Searchlight (the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of your screen (just to the right of your name) and type in Terminal. The first option it will offer will be that program

68. Jorge on July 26, 2013 at 4:46 pm said:

It works!

69. Thanks, Tony! Many headaches alleviated.

70. Yesss!! Thanks that was amazing help. Angie: go to your Applications folder – Utilities and Terminal should be in there.

71. Worked – thanks!

72. Edmond on October 7, 2013 at 7:07 pm said:

Thank you.

73. THANK YOU!!!

74. Hello I’ve been dealing with the same problem but I can’t ‘force quit’ because the name does not even appear. How can I quit? When I shut down the computer it appears when I open it…

75. Alphapenguin on November 23, 2013 at 7:28 pm said:

It also worked with OS Mavericks. Thank you!

76. Thank you…it worked

77. I had trouble when typing this command into the terminal, error said no such file or drectory….

Tried to find it in the Finder and search came up with no results.

So if you are having those same 2 issues, this is how I got around it.

I am running:
    MAC OSX 10.7.5
    Open Office 3.4.1

Make sure openoffice is NOT OPEN.

Step 1:
    In order to see the files in your finder so that you can delete them you need to show the invisible files.
    Go to APPLICATIONS FOLDER
    Select UTILITIES
    Select TERMINAL

Step 2:(Show Invisible Files)
    In the terminal window you need to type the following command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Type that command exactly as it is. What that command does is make it so you can see ALL OF YOUR FILES in the finder window. Don’t worry you can turn this off at the end. But for now go to step 3.

Step 3: (Relaunching the Finder Window)
    Click on the Apple ICON at the top left of your screen in the top navigation bar of the computer. When the list of options comes up click on FORCE QUIT
    A small window named FORCE QUIT APPLICATIONS will pop up. Look for the word FINDER inside that new window. It may be the last one listed and you may need to scroll inside that window if you have a lot of applications open. Click on the word FINDER so it is hilighted.

CLICK THE RELAUNCH BUTTON on the bottom right of that little window.

Step 4: (This is where you DELETE the File)
    Go to the new FINDER WINDOW
    In the left Pain click on your USER NAME (has the little house icon right before it)
    You will see a bunch of grayed out files, those grayed out files are all the files that were hidden from your view before. One of those files is your Library Folder. They are in Alphabetical order and mixed in with visible folders, so scroll down and you’ll find it.

Click on your LIBRARY folder.
    Click on SAVED APPLICATION STATE folder
    Hold down the CONTROL key and then Click on the folder named org.openoffice.script.savedState
    a pop up will come up and you should select MOVE TO TRASH
    This deletes the file
    Empty your trash bin

Step 5: Launch Open Office
    Open office should work great again.

Step 6: Hide your invisible files and relaunch finder
    If you are uncomfortable seeing all these new files on your computer, don’t worry you can hide them again by going back to the TERMINAL WINDOW
    at the prompt type:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO

Then RELAUNCH your FINDER again by doing step 3 above.

Hope this helps somebody!

78. Todd Pliss on February 4, 2014 at 5:28 pm said:

Amazing OO would release something with such a big bug. No matter what I do, with OX 8.5, nothing works,