Safari Not Working, But Firefox Does

I recently had a problem on my Macbook where Safari would stop working after a few minutes of connecting to the network, but other network applications, like Firefox, still worked. It was odd. Safari would just sit and hang.

After some research, what ended up working for me was to create a new network profile. Here are the steps to do that in Mac OSX (10.7.2).

1. Go to the Apple Menu in the upper left and choose

Select System Preferences

2. Click on the “Network” icon.

3. At the top select “Edit Locations…” from the Location drop down.

Edit Locations

4. Click the plus sign to add a new location and name it something like “home” or “work.” Then, click “Done.”

New Location

5. That should be it. Safari should work now.

17 Thoughts on “Safari Not Working, But Firefox Does

1. Hello…..
    My problem is that Safari starts but will not open any webpage…..any ideas?

2. Person WhoDoesn't Wantto Leavetheir Name on April 27, 2012 at 5:54 pm said:

Safari is just not opening at all for me. Any ideas?

3. Whoop this fixed it for me! I duplicated the automatic profile, then switched back to it.

Had to restart Safari / Mail for the change to kick in.

Thanks!

4. incous on June 5, 2012 at 5:45 am said:

I have the same problem: After a while not in use, Safari couldn’t load any website. From my analysis, it didn’t do anything, not even sending out a packet. What it could be?

I also follow the procedure above but it doesn’t help.

5. sebastian lanzi on August 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm said:

thank u thank u thank u.

6. Adolfo Concha on January 22, 2013 at 8:57 pm said:

It worked!!! I appreciate your help. Thanks

7. Api Tai on January 30, 2013 at 11:30 pm said:

It worked for me too except that now safari can’t open secure (https) sites…. Any help there would be appreciated and thank you…

8. Frieda on March 1, 2013 at 10:01 am said:

It worked for me! Thanks so much!! You Rock!

9. It went completely off line when I did this. On the Automatic window it says “Either the cable for Ethernet is not plugged in or the device at the other end is not responding.” But I can’t see how that’s the case.

My solution thus far is to use Firefox. Although I’m up for trying any other suggestions.

10. I just tried to confirm follow but since Safari’s not working it’s just spinning it’s wheel.

11. Diane Welty on June 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm said:

Safari has not been working for weeks. Firefox has until today, now it will not open.

12. Man you are awesome it worked!!!!

13. it worked!!!!!!!
    thank you!!!!!!!!

14. This has killed safari completely, it wont open anything now! it was working occasionally with a ‘force reload’, but now not even the ‘spinning wheel’ appears!

15. OMGosh YES!!!!! This has been bothering me for months! Thank you for sharing!

16. It works for me thanks!